BACK TO SCHOOL ESSENTIAL

Back to School

Friday 18 May 2018

What Must I Do to be Save? 3

someone or something will save me will not save me. I might believe that Allah, Buddah or Sun Young Moon will save me. I might believe that putting my hands on the radio or TV will save me; praying at the mourners’ bench or church “altar”; or “faith only” will save me or even baptism will save me. Believing anyone of these things does not make any of them true. What sayeth the Scripture.
This is how one finds out how to be saved under Christ, by what is written. “Then Philip opened his mouth, and beginning at this Scripture, preached Jesus to him. Now as they went down the road, they came to
some water. And the eunuch said, ‘See, here is water. What hinders me from being baptized?’ Then Philip said, ‘If you believe with all your heart, you may.’ And he answered and said, ‘I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.’ So he commanded the chariot to stand still. And both Philip and the eunuch went down into the water, and he baptized him. Now when they came
up out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord caught Philip away, so that the eunuch saw him no more; and he went on his way rejoicing” (Acts 8:35-39).
The Answer Can Be Understood
There are those who insist that men cannot understand God’s Word. Most denominationalists who take this position do so because they believe and teach that
man has a sinful nature by which he is rendered incapable, unable of understanding God’s Word. Jesus’ answer to the lawyer teaches us God’s Word can be understood. Jesus asked “What is written
in the law? What is your reading of it?” (Lk. 10:26). After the lawyer told Jesus what he understood the scriptures he commended for the right answer, “You have answered rightly; do this and you will live…’ ”
(Lk. 10:28).
Jesus also teaches us there is a right answer! Since there is a “right answer” that can be understood, not just any answer or scripture will give the right answer. The answer to the question of salvation is not a matter of interpretation, for any answer but the right answer is wrong! Jesus says we can understand the Bible alike! I cannot simply answer one way and you another because we cannot understand it alike.
Understanding God’s Word is taught throughout the Scripture. Jesus taught doctrine and expected his hearers to, “Hear and understand’ ” (Mt. 15:10). Paul told us. “When you read, you may understand my knowledge in the mystery of Christ” (Eph. 3:4). “Therefore do not be unwise, but understand what the will of the Lord is” (Eph. 5:17). Why some people don’t understand is what is written? Some simply refuse to hear God’s Word (Jn. 8:43; Acts 28:26-27). Others refuse to believe God’s

No comments:

Post a Comment